Category Archives: Community

Wanted: Senior DBA or Dev-DBA (And So Darn Hard to Find!)

I mentor, teach, and consult about SQL Server. It’s an incredible tool –it is an extremely flexible, adaptable, and complex data environment. SQL Server is capable of bringing tremendous value to an organization when it is configured, tuned, and used appropriately. And one of the things that I am occasionally engaged to do for a client, is to help interview candidates and find an FTE Senior DBA or Senior Dev-DBA. And finding such a resource quite often proves to be a very difficult quest. Let me…(read more)

SQL Server 2014 Launch – A Community Affair

Guest blog post by: PASS President Thomas LaRock – a SQL Server MVP, MCM, and Head Geek at Solarwinds – is a seasoned IT professional with over a decade of technical and management experience. Author of DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Star DBA, he holds an MS degree in Mathematics from Washington State University and is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and a VMware vExpert. You can read his blog at thomaslarock.com and follow him on Twitter at @SQLRockstar.

April opened with the general availability of SQL Server 2014. But well before we could wrap our hands around the final bits of the new release, the SQL Server community has been getting an early taste of its exciting performance, availability, manageability, and cloud features, thanks to a grassroots launch and readiness program that has spread around the globe.

The Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) and hundreds of our volunteers around the world have joined with Microsoft to host free SQL Server 2014 launch events and technical sessions that focus on what matters most to data pros. These sessions explain the new features in the release, how the features work, and how we can use them to benefit our companies.

From user group meetings and PASS SQLSaturday sessions to the ongoing SQL Server 2014 Countdown webinars with PASS Virtual Chapters, the launch of SQL Server 2014 has truly been a community affair – and we're just getting started. Whether you're already on the path to early adoption, preparing to take advantage of the new release soon, or gathering information for the future, here's how you can get involved and get the details you need to make smart decisions for your organization:

• Connect with fellow SQL Server pros: Microsoft Data Platform Group GM Eron Kelly noted that for Community Technology Preview 2, there were nearly 200K evaluations of SQL Server 2014, including 20K evaluations with the new release running in a Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine. That's a lot of folks who now have first-hand knowledge about SQL Server 2014. Check out those blogging and speaking about their experiences and sharing at chapter meetings, and then get to know them and what they know.
  • Share your questions, issues, and solutions: Have you tried out SQL Server's new built-in in-memory OLTP features? How about the enhanced mission-critical and availability capabilities? Have questions about implementing a hybrid data solution that bridges on-premises and cloud technologies? And how and when should you use the new delayed durability setting or clustered columnstore indexes? Share your experiences – and what you don't know or need more information about – and help the community build up resources that enable us all to work better, smarter, and faster.
  • Learn how to get the most from your data: Go inside the new release with experts on the SQL Server product team at upcoming live SQL Server 2014 Countdown webinars and watch on-demand replays of those you missed. You can also learn more about SQL Server 2014 and Microsoft's data platform strategy at the Accelerate Your Insights online launch event April 15 with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, COO Kevin Turner, and Data Platform Group Corporate Vice President Quentin Clark. And remember to check with your local PASS chapter, Virtual Chapter, or nearby SQLSaturday event for more SQL Server 2014 launch and learning events happening worldwide.

I'm grateful to be part of one of the most passionate technology communities in the world and excited to participate in a SQL Server 2014 launch program that, at its core, is about empowering SQL Server professionals and their organizations to be successful.

Thanks to everyone who is helping connect, share, and learn about SQL Server 2014.
Thomas

Speaking at Richmond SQL Saturday!

I am looking forward to my trip to Richmond, VA this coming weekend! I will be able to meet up with some of my peeps from the area plus be able to deliver a presentation that is still in the works as we are still testing . The presentation is based on some work that I have been doing with Fusion-IO and the MTC Chicago on the develpment of several white papers. Essentially, we are looking at the impact of Fusion-IO cards on two features in SQL Server 2014 – BPE and In-Memory OLTP. This is definitely…(read more)

Me and the Man

Part 1 I grew up poor – the US version of poor. We never missed a meal but a few times it was only because we had a successful hunt. Suffice it to say that when we interacted with others, they always had more than us. More stuff, nicer houses and cars and toys. We weren’t unhappy kids – my brothers and I – but we were unable to do some things we wanted to do, things others took for granted. Perhaps the best description of how I felt about our childhood is a southern US expression: we made do. My…(read more)

A Mistake, Responding Well, and a Public Call for a Public Apology

I am about to break one of the rules of this blog. Years ago, I decided to never write about things that happen with clients until at least one year had passed. I am going to make an exception and write about something that happened very recently in the first part of this post. I confess I have been writing the second and third parts of this post for a couple years. I have waited to publish those parts for much the same reason I wait to write about client interaction: There is no substitute for the…(read more)

Presenting Using Biml as a Design Patterns Engine to Midlands PASS 9 Jan 2014!

I am honored to present Using Biml as a Design Patterns Engine to the Midlands PASS Chapter Thursday 9 Jan 2014! Summary: Business Intelligence Markup Language provides a powerful solution for creating and managing SSIS Design Patterns. Andy Leonard, one of the authors of SSIS Design Patterns , demonstrates the flexibility of BIML in this session. Register here ! If you will be near Columbia, SC one week from Thursday and read this blog, stop by and introduce yourself. I’m the fat guy with a fu….(read more)

Looking Back at PASS Summit 2013 – Location

Now that it has been a few weeks since the Summit, I wanted to look back at the location “experiment”. Convention Center – It seemed to work well for the conference. There were quite a few areas in the area where you could sit down and get some work down or have a discussion. For the larger welcome reception the first night, I really liked the different areas. If you wanted to enjoy the Quiz Bowl, the ballroom area was set up nicely with big screens so that everyone could see and hear. The area right…(read more)

Webcast: What to Expect at the PASS Summit 2013 – Oct 3, 2013 @ 12:30pm EDT

It has been confirmed that I will be delivering a webcast on “What to Expect at the PASS SUmmit 2013” on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:30pm ET. Here is the link to register for the event. https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7411380526146008833 This is targeted at First Time Attendees of the summit, but all are welcome to join. This webcast will go over items such as: How to Decode the Session Code Meal Planning Seating and Summit Ambassadors Other Offerings : SQL Clinic, Labs, Community Zone, Luncheons,…(read more)

What to Expect at the PASS Summit 2013

Next week, I am tentatively planning a webcast on Oct 3, 2013 @ 12:30pm ET as I have done over the past couple of years aimed at First Time Attendees. Once I get things confirmed, I will post a link for registration. I updated my PPT Deck with the new information and realized that most of the message and events / timings are similar to the past two years. I first did this webcast in 2011 and created a series of companion blog posts that are still very relevant for this year. Naturally, some references…(read more)